Chris Brown lost a bid to delay a preliminary hearing in his assault case, which his attorney argued should wait for a related California Supreme Court decision.
According to the Associated Press, the singer’s attorney, Mark Geragos, filed an appeal earlier this month to try to delay his preliminary hearing, now scheduled for June 22.
Two justices signed an order Wednesday (June 10) denying the requests, but did not offer an explanation why.
Geragos has repeatedly argued that he should be able to see police personnel files, as well as records related to an investigation into the leak of a well-circulated photo of a bruised Rihanna. He even claimed the LAPD’s internal leak of the photo is grounds for dismissal.
“Leaks can form the basis for a motion to dismiss the case in regard to outrageous governmental misconduct,” he said.
Brown is accused of beating then-girlfriend Rihanna after a pre-Grammy party in February.
During the preliminary hearing later this month, a decision will be made whether there is enough evidence to continue the case against Brown.
Rihanna has been subpoenaed to testify at a June 22 preliminary hearing, her lawyer told People this week. She was served with papers in person on Tuesday in Los Angeles (June 9).
“Rihanna was served at my office by L.A. DA investigators,” attorney Donald Etra told the mag. “If the preliminary hearing indeed goes forward, she is now legally required to be there, she will be there, and will answer all questions truthfully.”