Popular dancehall artiste Moses ‘Beenie Man’ Davis will have to wait a while longer to find out the outcome of his tax evasion trial as it was put off again, yesterday.
Three witnesses testified in the case yesterday. Two of whom were from the Inland Revenue Dept., while the third was the person who served the summons.
However, no major breakthroughs have yet been made in the case and only basic procedures to bring the matter to trial were addressed.
Resident Magistrate Owen Parkins, therefore, ordered that Beenie Man return to the Tax Court in Kingston on July 29 when the matter will again be heard.
Failed to pay
Beenie Man is said to owe the state close to $48 million in taxes for the period between the late 1990s and early 2000, during which time the entertainer was signed with Shocking Vibes and Patrick Roberts, his former manager.
The tax authorities allege that Davis failed to pay over $29,290,116 in back taxes and $18,641,254 in penalties, both figures reaching a total of $47,931,370 during this period.
Although Beenie Man could not be reached for a comment up to press time, the artiste who had been interviewed by THE STAR previously about his tax woes had said, “Dem (Government) sey mi owe dem from bout 1997- 2002 an dah time deh mi deh a Shocking Vibes an Patrick Roberts is di man weh response fi everything. Him collect all a mi money – suh personal tax an dem ting deh him suppose fi deal wid. Suh when me leave Shocking Vibes, mi leave wid mi two long hand dem an mi talent, a just my personal money and resources mi leave wid. Suh every contract, show, tour mi do Shocking Vibes use to deal wid dem,” Beenie Man said.