In the midst of reports in the media that dancehall artiste Mavado has been banned from performing in some Caribbean territories, Mavado’s management team as issued a release stating that the artiste is still at large in the Caribbean.
The release said, “Mavado devastated the Eastern Caribbean recently with a stunning performance in front of a crowd of around 5,000 in Dominica. During his performance, Mavado took time out to thank the Government of Dominica, who have been singled out as bucking the trend, taking a positive stance and not banning Mavado.”
Dominica’s Tourism Minister Ian Douglas Friday said a ban on Mavado would not be in keeping with the spirit of CARICOM, adding that he is a CARICOM national and has not yet committed any offence in Dominica.
The show was allowed to be held under immense pressure, with promoter Val Cuffy of Triple Kay Promotions standing tall when faced with many obstacles.
“I was in meetings with police and government up until midnight” Cuffy said after the show. “But Mavado proved all the doubters wrong by delivering a very mature, professional and appropriate performance. He had the crowd singing every word and there was not a single incident at the show which is exactly what we hoped for.”
The promoter went on to add that “hopefully St Vincent, Grenada, Guyana, Trinidad and all the other CARICOM countries will let sense and fairness prevail and allow Mavado to perform in those islands where he has thousands of fans.”
After a similar outing in Tortola last week, Mavado is set to continue to blaze a trail through the Caribbean over the coming weeks.